1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

480V arc flash

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by the blur, Oct 11, 2011.

1. the blur

the blur New Member

We are going for arc flash training. Insurance requirments for working on large 480V equipment. Should be interesting. Working on live equipement is requiring more and more protective equipment. Even if it's 120 degrees on a roof top.
  2. Bustawrench

Bustawrench New Member

Yup, more insurance driven bullshit regulationsw. Wait til guys start falling out from heat stress while wearing those suits on the roof, hope I'm not one of the ones that passes out and falls off a roof.
  3. PSYCHOBILLY

PSYCHOBILLY Blunts, 40's, and Bitches

Been there done that. When I worked for Honeywell we did all that traning and they wanted us to wear a arc flash/blast suit on anything over 50 volts. Great idea HSEF (Health Safety Environment Facility) That went over like a wet fart in church with us techs. Needless to say we didnt need to wear it. But I tell ya when I had to rack a switch gear I wore it. Scary shit what a arch flash/blast is. Like a grenade going off in your face. Have fun trying to test with your meter with all the gloves on lol Cotton glove, rubber glove then leather. [​IMG]

4. PSYCHOBILLY

[​IMG]You will see more of these in your training.
  5. PSYCHOBILLY

6. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

That's some scary stuff, we never used to ever think about it, when I worked at Union Carbide, all the big stuff was 4160V, it made pretty fireworks when it went to ground

Surprised we didn't have to wear anything there, but it 30+ yrs ago, but they were real stickers on safety
  7. flange

flange I can't make u do it, I can only make u wish u had

Sign up to NFPA, which is an agency that writes a lot of this safety mumbo jumbo. I think 70e is the one that covers ARC flash. Its good to go for the training, and be aware of the perils, even if you just become more cautious when working around live voltage. These things, while cumbersome, are written for two reasons, first protect the worker, and second, protect their employer. While it seems trivial, it really is about going home safe from a hazardous job everyday, no matter how much even I object. The insurance discount is a bonus.

If you know anything about me, I hate this crap, especially when some nerd tries to mandate it. There is specific reference to our trade in 70e, which allows working on live circuits with proper protection. It also dictates seperation between line and low voltages that will become more prevelant in the indistry moving forward.
  8. Tap

Tap HoWdY!

That video is palo verde the guys walked away, he was wearing PPE