1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Heatcraft wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Refrigeration' started by Iraqveteran, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Iraqveteran

Iraqveteran Moneyshot

Got a Heatcraft walk-in cooler...the wiring diagram is completely gone, including the panel the diagram should be on.

Model is TLF040BE

Here is my question...its got heating elements in the drain pan, but no heating elements in the coil itself. The system is wired up to shut off the fan in defrost, which would make sense if there were heaters running thru the coil. But there isn't.

And they are having problems with ice forming on the coil surface and not melting during defrost. I can increase the defrost time (Grasslin timer), but don't believe it will be the best solution.

So, anyone got a wiring diagram for this model. Specifically regarding defrost controls and whether or not the fans should be operation 24/7 or if the fans are supposed to shut off during defrost.
  2. crackertech

crackertech assholiness

3. Stephy

Stephy Dawg

Call Heatcraft in Stone Moutian Ga. in the morning, ask for Archie {I guess he's still alive}..
    The number is in the van, and I don't have any pants on.....

:shocked:
  4. crackertech

crackertech assholiness

I know Archie worked with him many a time.
  5. Bankey

Bankey I'm Something Else

does Archie wear pants?
  6. crackertech

crackertech assholiness

Yes he dose. Sorry Ken.
  7. Bender

Bender Promoted to Regional Turd Polisher

8. crackertech

crackertech assholiness

It should be 4 times a day. 45 minutes.
  9. Bender

Bender Promoted to Regional Turd Polisher

In a perfect world, I agree.....

Most of mine I set up with 5 defrosts.....

3 shorter ones during the open times and 2 longer ones during the closed times.....

It keeps the damn idiots from calling when their cooler hits 40 degrees for a few minutes.....
  10. Iraqveteran

Iraqveteran Moneyshot

Originally it was set-up for 4 defrosts a day, every six hours, for 30 minutes each.

I now have it set for 6 defrosts a day, every 4 hours. 8am, noon, 4pm, and 8pm are all 30 minutes. And midnight and 4am defrosts are both set for 45 minutes.

I also adjusted their thermostat. It was originally maintaining 34-36°. This is a small produce cooler at an Olive Garden. I now have it maintaining 37-39°....which is withing both health department specs and Olive Garden specs.

I am going back tomorrow. Someone bypassed the disconnect switch for the evaporator. I gotta rewire it back into the circuit so it shuts off the evap and breaks the signal to the solenoid as well.
  11. Stephy

Stephy Dawg

little short Albanien fella?
    Bald headed?

You kiddin?

:bowdown:
  12. MOFO the psychic gorilla

MOFO the psychic gorilla New Member

Do they have the swinging saloon doors or real doors? Is the whole thing icing up equally on both sides? From the low profile ones I've seen they seem to like a lower SH setting to feed both sides equally. I would go fans off during defrost if you have termination controls in the coil. They always prop the door open for getting in and out of the freezer naturally :banghead:
  13. jpsmith1cm

jpsmith1cm Professional Un-thawer

I've seen similar setups. The heater in the pan could be the primary defrost heater as well as pan heat. Depends on the size of that heater.

Watch for a slight undercharge causing both uneven feed and excess frost formation due to low coil temps, particularly when it is cooler at night and the condenser floods up.
  14. crackertech

crackertech assholiness

For real.
  15. generaltech1

generaltech1 A not so new member

Dont know if this helps but I had a heatcraft where the evap fans were wired to the hot side of the contactor and they never shut off in defrost. They were getting icicles on the ceiling of the freezer. The other issue was that there were 2 evaporators on one condenser with only one solenoid valve, so when it did go into defrost, it would cycle on and off to try to pump down the second evaporator(eventually took out the compressor from short cycling). Corrected the contactor wiring, added another solenoid to the 2nd evaporator...all good.