1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Hidden camera in my town.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bender, May 24, 2012.

1. Bender

Bender Promoted to Regional Turd Polisher

2. crackertech

crackertech assholiness

3. Swampfox

Swampfox Trailer Trash

Wonder what that cap tested at?

That's an ICP builders model, Those units are complete junk, I would have recommended replacement as soon as I saw it lol
    Airmechanical and chuckcrj like this.
  4. crackertech

crackertech assholiness

Should a pitted contractor be replaced??????? I think so.
    Airmechanical likes this.
  5. CincyHVAC

CincyHVAC Hoptimus Prime, Master of Beer-Fu

The reporter did a similar story here in Cincinnati. Atlas Butler was another one of the suspects. I've seen A/B's performance pay "menu". In my opinion, it's highway robbery. Flat rate is one thing. ****ing someone in the ass is another. I've gone behind A/B when I was a tech. I'm convinced that none of their "technicians" actually know how to make a proper diagnosis and repair. However, I must applaud their sales force. :tard:
  6. Swampfox

Swampfox Trailer Trash

I bet that unit doesnt survive the summer, I wonder if they will do a follow up report....nope
    Airmechanical and chuckcrj like this.
  7. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard

My approach would have been a lot different. 22.00 a # is cheap for r22. I wouldnt recomend a single part for a unit that age without at least offering a replacament. Cant polish a turd
  8. Lurk

Lurk New Member

as techs, we have to be really careful what we say

we have to EVEN MORE CAREFUL HOW we say it
  9. CincyHVAC

Spoken like a true distributor. :D

I, on the other hand, would keep it running until it made no economic sense to do so. Do what's in the best interest of the CUSTOMER.
    crackertech likes this.
  10. R22forbreakfast

R22forbreakfast Killer of Big Bird

I liked it when he shocked himself.
  11. crackertech

crackertech assholiness

X2.
  12. Chuck

Chuck Old New Member

The number 1 fool in that video is their so called "expert" with 40 years of experience. If there weren't guys like that willing to tell some reporter anything to make a buck, their wouldn't be stings like this.

Why didn't he tell us what the measured capacitance on the run cap was? Very suspicious if you ask me. He probably didn't even measure it.

I don't believe the "expert" was any better or more honest than any of the techs that worked on the unit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe $369 is a fair price for a run cap on a clean and check call. Also the blow and go guys are idiots. But the industry has enough problems without the media giving us a black eye with these stupid stings. Why don't they spend the same energy and time investigating all the crap that goes on in the government that all of us pay for??

Also I have no sympathy for unscrupulous techs changing parts they don't need. I just think the market will take care of those kinds of contractors, the good honest techs will always be in demand.

But like Swamp said, that unit probably won't last the summer, it definitely needed some TLC or replacement.
    ISOTHERMAL and Airmechanical like this.
  13. CincyHVAC

You would.........lol
    R22forbreakfast likes this.
  14. R22forbreakfast

R22forbreakfast Killer of Big Bird

Feed the family....

and sleep at night.....

There's a balance that can be achieved.
  15. CincyHVAC

I respectfully disagree.........

It needed to have the fins combed, possibly a contactor, and a good coil wash. Replacement maybe in 5 years when the compressor takes a shit.
  16. Chuck

Chuck Old New Member

17. Lurk

Lurk New Member

the whole thing can be prevented by choosing your words wisely as a technician.

anybody wanna know the one word that will always save your ass as a technician?

i'll tell you:

OPTIONS

that's it, folks.

options is the word.

it's our job to present our customer with all OPTIONS.

1. to walk away (OPTION 1)
    2. to replace a completely failed part (OPTION 2)
    3. to replace other parts that show signs of wear (OPTION 3)
    4. to replace the entire thing (OPTION 4)

you can't be wrong for presenting people with their options, answering their questions, and allowing them to make an informed decision.

when you start saying "you need this" or "you have to do that"...trouble follows.
    Catpower, Phase Loss and chuckcrj like this.
  18. Chuck

Chuck Old New Member

You're probably right, however, I wouldn't want the call after the comp fails later that summer from the welded contactor. Homeowner says; "You said it was fine, you need to provide a warranty on your check up."

After all it didn't need a contactor, the expert said so.:rolleyes:
  19. Lurk

Lurk New Member

Stingman: What were you doing?

Me: Presenting the customer with all of their options.
  20. CincyHVAC

Option 4 only comes into play if something catastrophic, such as a major leak in either coil or a compressor failure. Age comes in to play if the unit is 15 years old or more. Just my opinion.