1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

sharkbite fittings

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by iron, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I think most commercial building will lean toward the Pro Press, damn that stuff works slick
  2. Green Mountain

Green Mountain Living legend in the HVAC/R industry

I have two properties that have to be drained for the winter. I used the SBs because I figured it would be easy to take them apart. After sitting out in the weather for a couple of months there ain't no taking them apart.

So I cut the pipe down stream and in the spring I thought that I would just use another SB with some oil on it to keep it from seizing up. The SB up stream, that I left , froze and broke even though it had no water in the pipe.

Moral of the story: Don't use them out side or where it might freeze.
  3. Swampfox

Swampfox Trailer Trash

The packaging says not approved for use in Vermont or California, I bet thats why it failed lol
  4. Green Mountain

Green Mountain Living legend in the HVAC/R industry

Yes, I got I a discussion about that with a guy over New York State. He posted a picture of the package that said " not for sale in VT".

The ones I bought here in VT did not say that on the package. So I asked the all knowing counterman about it.
    Seems VT passed a law a few years ago the make it illegal to sell any fixture or pipe that has lead in it. Sharkbite makes an unleaded version. The leaded kind they sell to everyone else.
  5. DPSwitch

DPSwitch Forget the hearse....

Its extremely slick.
  6. HMD

HMD Perfessional Member *

i have yet to see this things.
  7. HMD

some hi rises here forbid clamp type couplings, except for vic.
    48 story office building here had a clamp type fitting let loose, after a year, on a 6th floor data center condenser line. big, big mess.
  8. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Easier and and cheaper is not always better. Quality is going down the sh!tter.
  9. HMD

and therefore wages.
  10. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Amen.
  11. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Interchangeable Unit of Labor

You got that right, pretty soon the laborers will running pipe for 1/2 what the fitters make.
  12. HMD

messicans for a taco dinner
  13. flange

flange I can't make u do it, I can only make u wish u had

If more card carrying members such as myself owned businesses, and had a conscience, we can easily control our own work. No messicans here. We do welded steel, stainless, propress, and Aquatherm piping systems, among others.

Sharkbite fittings are not to be used in closed loop systems, they will allow air to enter, causing venting issues. They are fine for potable water in low rise situations. A few years ago I came home ot a failed oil burner and frozen pipes. Used sharkbites to get the home warm in a pinch, and couldnt get the damn air out. Switched to propress a few days later and all was well with the world after purging at the returns like always.
  14. iron

iron we men are wretched things

my house was flooding
    I call that an emergency
    but like I said I will go back and run everything in copper
    first chance I get
  15. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Frank have you ever thought about using pex, it's some good shit for resi, I like the crimp rings though, and it will stand all that freezing weather you get down there better than copper

And it's a hell of a lot cheaper
  16. DPSwitch

You would like.

Nothing cheap about them, the fittings and machines are spensive. Makes for a nice nice job.
  17. DPSwitch

The joint probably wasn't done properly... like half the solder joints I see...lol
  18. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

I did my rental house basement reno in pex - brought the big crimper etc - I did all the plumbing complete for a 4 piece bathroom kitchen in one day - complete inc hw tank all lines all crimped stub outs etc - only one leak cause I forgot to crimp it lol honestly Ifelt like I was cheating it was so fast n easy
  19. HMD

42 stories of wasser....... 5# a floor.............. 210ish pounds, static...... 12+ months ..... i dont think so.
    although there are mis made joints.
  20. DPSwitch

A properly pressed joint is not something that pops loose... just sayin. The old ones had an issue....they would seal even if you forgot to press them. Then would blow apart at a time of their choosing...lol. For quite a while now they have been designed to leak if not pressed. That could be a result of the problems in Chicago...