1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

things shouldn't be this way

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by ISOTHERMAL, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

I wish they would make the people that design this stuff, get some time in the field, before they get their pencils.

I realize that in some instances gas paks are install on curbs on a roof top, but not always. If you add up the requirements for a drain trap you need a total of 3".

The install manual also calls for a filter to be installed in the duct or FIELD INSTALLED ACCESSORY FILTER RACK. Correct me if I'm wrong but the accessory filter rack would need to be installed in the RA in the unit, right? Well there is no acess panel to get to it.

How about this control board has about 2 1\2 inches above it, and that area is crammed full of wires.

Main power condiut K.O. is on the left, but wiring connections on the right, takes 4 feet of wire inside the unit.

3 phase unit but uses a 2 pole contactor, 1 phase wires directly to the compressor.

The cabinet must be made of 30 gauge
    Plastic base on a commerical gas pak? I thought I was going to crack the base trying to get the unit off of the pallet.

Many other things but I'll stop for now, I just had to vent.
  2. tuna

tuna New Member

Easy on the train drivers. Those guys are worrying about stuff we dont even think about.
  3. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

Yeah, rest assured were worring about stuff they never think of!! Most of it is simple $hit that they should know, like to get a 3" drain trap installed you gotta have more than an inch and a half clearance!!

Why do they reccomend a filter rack to be installed in the unit, when there's no door to get to it?

Don't tell me you drive a train,
  4. oly

oly gone camping

looks good on paper and we have to make it work:boid:
  5. Swampfox

Swampfox Trailer Trash

But it has a fancy control system, that makes it better :tard:

Yep Carrier has some really nice package unit designs....not!!!!

How about this gem, the 50HS, a real tard designed this puppy

[​IMG]
  6. jrbenny

jrbenny New Member

Well, if ya knew that you need that much clearance, why did you put it on the ground?

:tongue:
  7. Abby Normal

Abby Normal On Permanent Vacation

go buy a pressure treated 4x4 or pour a proper pad.

Pretty much every single commercial job with a central station air handler, you need at least a 6 inch high house keeping pad, just to get the drain in. Part of the reason is the drain connections could be 1.5"

No filter rack is pathetic

That contactor probably saved 5 bucks. One thing that used to bug me with rheem residential stuff was a single pole contactor for 240V/1/60
  8. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

It ain't on the ground, it is on the same pad that the original unit sat on. The same pad that all the other units sit on.

I have installed many different brands of gas paks, never seen one that the drain is so low.
  9. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

If I tried to put that thing up on 4x4 it would probably bust the plastic base. I was lucky to get it off of the pallet without cracking it. Guess I could have left it on the pallet :loltard: