1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Uneducated folks and their opinions

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by flange, Nov 8, 2017.

1. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

so I got a message from the wife of a friend. the gist of it was....how engineers proved global warming. it came from an engineering magazine article where they discussed a study, just started this august, to predict strain on a local or regional level utility, caused by extreme events and urban islands, among other things.

my favorite part of the article is the comment by this genius.....
    Maybe if a utility company was going to raise rates during peak-use times, that would change how a building owner would operate their building,

Prof. Kristen Cetin, Iowa State University

lololol, they already do this. here is the article: http://www.asme.org/engineering-topics/articles/energy/preparing-grid-deal-the-heat

where does it prove global warming, inquiring minds want to know :D:D:D

2. Jim54

Jim54 New Member

An excellent summary of peak demand strategies, some vague naratives about scenario modeling, not one iota of global warming proof. Much ado about nothing.

3. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

Is it me or is her hair on crooked?
    This article was written for the unknowing...

4. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

I especially liked the part about energy storage. Speaking like it is a new technology. We work at a foam blowing plant that has used ice bank cooling since at least the early 80s and probably before. The fine print says she's an independent writer, must have been a slow month and had to dream up some useless dribble to pay her own electric bill lol. And no there wasn't much if any PROOF of global warming in it.

5. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

She doesn’t look old enough to have a High School Diploma!:headscratch:

Zman likes this.
  6. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

That's it 21 seer minimum efficiency on every AC. 98% on all gas appliances and all tstats will have one setpoint
    82 cool and 62 heat.

LemonWizard and Zman like this.
  7. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

No home shall have a refrigerator larger than 10 cu ft.

Rather B Riding likes this.
  8. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Idiots Out Wandering Around Nowhere =IOWAN

I was born there but got the hell out as soon as I could, so I just semi wander

9. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

No unnecessary refrigeration of beer :mrbill:

10. Rather B Riding

We have a building that the automation guys built in a rolling load shed during peak hours. This is nothing new. The problem is not the heat causing more power consumption it's population growth compounded with modern technology.

11. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

And I would venture to say outdated if not straight up antique power distribution in most cities. Power poles almost always have a date on them. Look sometime that date on there will shock you. A pole from 1965 looks good and fresh how does an old one rank. Lol

12. Rather B Riding

The whole power system is antiquated. Designed and built in the 50-60. Yeah they have made upgrades to the system but it not enough fast enough. Its a big problem. They won't fix it with higher minimum seer ratings and CFL bulbs.

13. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

im trying to program in staggered start times to reduce power spikes cause bc hydro fuks comm customers on power spikes - ak they charge at what ever peak is highest even when 99% of the time the building is running much lower consumptions on average

Rather B Riding likes this.
  14. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

That goes for basically all of our infrastructure.

https://www.infrastructurereportcard.org

15. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Good Service Techs have become Antiquated...and Replacements aren't happening good enough,fast enough.

Rather B Riding and Ballvalve79 like this.
  16. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

That's one of the main reasons the utilities are installing those smart meters every where. The other reason is to squeeze mo money out of the turnips.

17. Rather B Riding

Not necessarily for more money as it is to beat you into submission. The power company here adds nasty grams in with your bill. "Your Neighbor's at this address use xxx KW less electric per year" they also recently started charging us more if you don't have a smart meter.

18. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

There is a utility outfit here that gives you free electricity after 5 I think it is, it is in the mertomess, if I lived there I would build a ice bank and freeze it every night and cool every day

I bet the program would change fast if too many did that

And I know they are going to **** you somehow, someway

19. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

I was sitting out on the deck one day and looked over and saw they had come in the back yard and changed out the meter. Nothing you can do about it. The only good thing about them is the power company will know when you power goes out without you calling them.

Like big brother

20. iron

iron we men are wretched things

climate it cyclical
    does man effect his environment
    absolutely
    but lets not kid ourselves, the climate change movement is not
    about saving the planet
    its about redistribution of wealth
    we have already given the wealth of the west to the dessert for oil
    lets not give anymore to fund the demolotion of capitalism.